Therapeutic Focus & Treatment Modalities
I am passionate about working in the neurodivergent and LGBTQA+ populations. Prior to becoming a mental health provider, I was a teacher. I primarily use the ACT therapy modality. I have a talent for matching people where they are and adapting my skill set to client’s needs. I am comfortable working with all ages and a wide range of presenting problems. With that said my expertise lies in:
- Adjustment to Adulthood (Post HS/College)
- Autism Affirming Therapy
- Gender Exploration/Dysmorphia/Identity
- LGBTQ+ Affirming Therapy
- Hoarding Disorder (Skills in the Home)
- Neurodiverse Individuals
- Somatic Work
- Trauma/Trauma-informed Care
Katharine McArthur, MS, LPC-IT
Licensed Professional Counselor – Training
Mental Health Provider
My passion as a therapist lies in providing affirming therapy to individuals who may struggle to find a therapeutic relationship that honors your identity and neurotype. I work to create a safe space where you can unmask and explore what you enjoy, what you value, and how to enhance your ability to move towards the life you want.
I have been a self-proclaimed nerd since I was a young child. I enjoy working with my clients to explore how your special interests enhance your life and help you make meaning. I will create a space that is unique to you. Focusing on matching how you exist in the world and moving toward building an environment that fits who you are, allowing you to move toward how you want to be in your life. Since no two clients are the same, this environment and journey will depend on what you bring to the space and where you want your healing journey to go.
Together with my clients I work on getting comfortable being uncomfortable, in order to make space for the full range of human emotions. My goal is that together we will build the skills you need to handle difficult thoughts, feelings and memories in a way that allows you to have the flexibility to decide how you want to respond.
*Katharine can accept the following forms of payment: Private Pay (sliding scale for those that qualify), Quartz Insurance (MA plans only), My Choice WI, CCS
- BS in Education from University of Wisconsin Oshkosh – Oshkosh,WI
- MS in Community Psychology from Alverno College – Milwaukee, WI
Outside of Work
When I have free time, I enjoy baking, cross stitch, and spending time with my two small children.
Certifications & Trainings
- WI Educator License T001, 2013-2020
- WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) Informed
- Working toward becoming a WPATH Certified Provider
- Trauma Informed Care (TIC)
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) Informed
Services I Offer
- Ages 10 – Aging
- Individual Skill Development and Enhancement
- Psychoeduation (client and family)
- Therapy Groups